McLauchlan

The McLauchlan family started trading in the town of Paisley in the latter half of the nineteeth century. It was early in the twentieth century when the newly widowed Kate McLauchlan started trading in her own right in china, crystal, cutlery and fancy goods. She opened a jewellers and fancy goods shop in Paisley High Street in 1909, the year that her son John McLauchlan married Jeannie Primrose. That was the start of 100 years of shop keeping in the town.

The first shop was located at 20 High Street and subsequently moved to 46 High Street. During that time the business developed it's trade by directly importing china and crystal from Czechoslovakia and other countries in Europe. They also started selling beads, Whitby jet and costume jewellery.

When Kate McLauchlan passed away in 1941 her son John McLauchlan took the reins. He had been a commercial traveller and in the 1940's and 1950's he developed the sale and repair of watches and clocks and had his own watchmaker on the premises.